Curbside Service Info
Library Buildings are OPEN
For the safety of our more vulnerable patrons, we are continuing to provide curbside pickup services
Curbside Service Hours
Monday through Friday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday evenings from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Three Ways to Request Items
- Online catalog at OCPLVA.org
- By phone during curbside or building open hours
- Drop off written request via bookdrop (5 day delay)
Be sure to place items on hold for the library location where you wish to pick them up.
A separate email pickup message will be sent for each individual item placed on hold through our catalog.
Staff will phone when items are ready for accounts not set up with e-mail. We strongly encourage you to provide e-mail as you will get notified faster.
Items are only ready for pickup after a notification has been received for them.
Having trouble choosing since you can’t browse? Try our advice page
- You will receive a call or email once your available holds are ready for pickup.
- You will have 5 business days to pickup your curbside holds.
- You will need your library card number to verify when picking up your holds.
- Pull up and park in one of the numbered pickup spots and call the library.
- Staff will verify your card number, check out your items, and place them outside on the pickup cart/table with the number that matches your parking spot.
- Library staff will not take returned items. Customers should return all items in the book drop. There is a drop slot in the side of each building.
- The one exception is the Wi-Fi hotspots which need to be returned via curbside.
- Do NOT place items in the freestanding blue metal bins as they will taken by the agency who owns the bins, and will not be returned to us. We will charge you for them.
Returned items are isolated for 7-8 days before they are handled by staff.
Please be aware that this means the items will still show as checked out to your account until we check them in.
Check in will be backdated to allow for this delay in checking your materials in.
Telephone Request/call from Parking Lot Numbers:
Main: (540) 672-3811
Wilderness: (540) 854-5310
Gordonsville: (540) 832-0712
Fines and Fees During Curbside
For safety reasons we prefer not to handle cash during this time.
If your account is blocked and you need to make a payment to be able to use our services, we will gladly accept it so that you can continue to use the library.
We will provide envelopes and a pen for submitting payments during curbside service.
Please write the account number or name and last 4 digits of the account number where the payment should be applied on the envelope.
Card Issuance During Curbside
We welcome new accounts during this difficult time.
You can apply online here
Once you apply, you need to come to the library to activate your account, receive your card, and have your ID verified via curbside or in person inside.
You need to bring your photo ID and proof of local address if it is not on your ID.